Contributions Welcome

This blog belongs to everyone interested in preserving and promoting traditional Indian wrestling. Please feel free to contribute photos, videos, links to news articles or your own blog posts. E-mail contributions to kushtiwrestling@gmail.com.

Dec 21, 2009

Minister, 70, enters wrestling ring

GULBARGA: Karnataka animal husbandry minister Revunaik Belamagi may be a champion in the cut-and-thrust of modern politics, but he was also a wrestling champion once. The 70-year-old showed wrestling skills for more than half-an-hour here at the Chandrashekhar Patil Stadium on Sunday.
In his youth, Belamagi was reputed to be good at wrestling, a sport popular in the rural north Karnataka region.
“When I was young, I was very strong and loved to wrestle. But my father would scold me and disallow me to take part. I left the sport at the age of 45, when I contested for the assembly for the first time,’’ he said.
‘‘After that, it was on and off. I used to participate when I was a gram panchayat member and as mandal panchayat chief. I felt very nostalgic.”

No comments: